Spring 2019 Newsletter
The Primary and Junior EQAO assessments will be held from May 21 to June 3. Please avoid booking appointments for students in Grades 3 and 6 at these times. Thanks for your cooperation.
Spring Photo Session
On Wednesday, April 17, Life Touch will be providing a Spring Photo Session for our students. Each student will be photographed the day of the session. If interested in ordering a package, follow the details provided. Brookside will receive one dollar for each student photographed regardless of packages being ordered.
Professional Activity Day
There will be a P.A. Day on Friday, April 5. Students will not have school this day.
If you have, or know of, Kindergarten aged children that missed our fall registration, please contact the school at your earliest convenience.
Water System Upgrades
During the March Break, upgrades were made to the well water system at Brookside Public School. As a result, we were under a boil water advisory for the week that followed the break. We passed all of our tests and we are good to go! Thanks to everyone for your patience as we worked through this process.
Identity-Based Data Collection
Packages are being sent home with students in grades Kindergarten through 6 that contain hard copies of the Identity-Based Data Collection survey. If you are willing to fill them out, your time will be greatly appreciated. There is an option to fill it out online as well. If you have any questions, please let us know.
Brookside is Going Nut Free
Before the comments start flying, no, they are not kicking me out of the school! Brookside will be a nut free school starting September 2019. We have a number of students with allergies to peanuts and other tree nuts that need to be taken seriously. Some of our classes are already nut sensitive, so this is the next logical step. The list below gives you an idea of some of the products that will not be allowed at school starting in September. It is our hope that this gives families time to come up with other options for lunches and snacks that are being sent to school. More information will be sent home in the following months. Thanks in advance for your cooperation and understanding.
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, candy, etc.
Any product that contains nuts.
This is just a reminder that bus notes are only supposed to be written for students going on another bus or getting off at a different stop for the purpose of childcare. We have been receiving an increased number of requests for reasons beyond that of childcare. Travel to parties, sleepovers and other such events are to be arranged outside of busing to and from school. Requests for transportation changes other than for the purpose of childcare will not be granted.
Just like the rest of us, our bus drivers will definitely be looking forward to spring. Students are reminded that they must follow the bus rules and the requests of the drivers in order to guarantee the safety of everyone. Students who are not following the rules will draw the driver’s attention away from the road. Please review the rules of being a safe passenger with your child and remind them to follow the instructions of the drivers.
1. No eating or drinking on the bus.
2. No standing or moving around the bus while it is in motion.
3. Stay in your assigned seat.
4. Speak appropriately and respectfully to everyone on the bus.
5. Obey the directions of the driver.
Good Friday (April 19) and Easter Monday (April 22) will be holidays. There will be no school these days.
Bullying Prevention and Intervention
Bullying seems to be in the news often these days. Children learn about it at school, but parents need to learn more too. Here are a few things parents should know:
• Bullying is not a normal part of growing up. It makes children, youth and even adults feel sick, frightened, lonely and unhappy.
• For victims, repeated bullying can cause psychological distress and many related difficulties.
• It’s not just physical. Bullies gain power over their victims physically, emotionally and socially.
• Bullying is a serious problem; not only for the victim, but for the bully as well.
Stay Connected with Brookside Public School
Stay Connected with the Avon Maitland District School Board
- Friday, March 29 – Band Bake Sale
- Friday, March 29 – Subway day for Ronald McDonald House
- Tuesday, April 2 – Little Caesar’s Pizza Kit Fundraising Due
- Friday, April 5 – PA Day no school for Students
- Wednesday, April 17 – Spring Portraits
- Friday, April 19 – Good Friday no school for Students
- Monday, April 22 – Easter Monday no school for Students
See our calendar for all events.