March 2018 Newsletter

Administrator’s Message

March has arrived and we are looking forward to many great things ahead! This month we have our junior mixed basketball team practicing for their tournament, our Chess team has started game play, our Kiwanis Choirs are well underway and our student voices can be heard on our Student Voice Team, dodgeball intramurals, Coding Club and new this month, primary games club. We are very proud of how many of our students are getting involved. We do believe that the more involved our students are in their school and with their peers, the more invested they become in their success as a valued member of an entire school community. We encourage all of our students to get involved!

Our attribute this month is Optimism! We look forward to days that are getting longer, the sun shining brighter and spring is on its way.

As always, if you have any questions, concerns or celebrations, please feel free to contact us at the school.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Cassone and Mr. Holland

Our Mission

Learners Today Leaders Tomorrow.
We strive to ensure that all students achieve their potential, academically and socially.

A Reminder about the Little Falls Allergy Reduced Policy

Little Falls School makes every attempt to be a nut-safe school (hazelnuts, almonds,
walnuts, peanuts, etc.) to protect the health of students who have severe allergies.
Students must not bring any food products to school for snacks, lunches or group treats that contain nuts or have been exposed to nut oil. Please check all labels of food that you send to school!Because of asthma and other related respiratory problems, all of our education buildings are fragrance safe.

Inclement Weather

Get the Latest on School or School Bus Delays or Cancellations.  Although the weather is getting warmer there is still the possibility for school closures or bus delays and cancellations. For bus delays/cancellations and school closures, you can:

Lost and Found

Please make an effort to come to the school and take a look at the lost and found tables before Thursday, March 8th, 2018. After this day, any unclaimed items will be donated to a local charity.

Student Classroom Placement for 2018-2019

Each year, our staff works as a team to carefully consider future classroom placement for each one of our students. Academic, social and emotional well-being are at the forefront of our decisions. Every year, our teachers take great pride in getting to know each one of their students’ strengths and needs, and provide programming to help support the growth of all students. Each situation has its own set of circumstances, and we appreciate your support in understanding that we are making these decisions based on what we feel would be the best possible placement for academic success for your child, knowing that each one of our teachers has something special to offer all of our students. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact the office.

Student Illness – Stop the Spread

When a child has been vomiting or had diarrhea, we ask that you help us to avoid the spread of sickness by keeping your child home until they are symptom free for 24 hours. Although your children may feel better first thing in the morning, if they haven’t had time to fully recover, they often feel ill again shortly after they arrive at school. Thank you, in advance, for helping us do our best to limit the spread of easily passed on sickness.

School Council/PIA

A huge thank you to School Council/PIA for flipping approximately 1,000 pancakes for all of our students on Tuesday, February 13th. We certainly enjoyed eating them!

Music Room News – Save the dates!

The Stratford Kiwanis Festival will be held April 9th-13th for School Music. As soon as the competition times are sent to Mrs. Stern, she will send out a note to the Homeroom teachers. All Grades 1, 2 and 3 students will be participating along with 73 grade 1, 2 and 3 students in the Primary Choir and 65 grade 4, 5, and 6 students in the Junior Choir.

Me to We

The Me To We group is volunteering at a Pancake Breakfast at McCully’s Hill Farm (located on Line #9 just outside of St. Marys) on Sunday, March 25 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The breakfast is open to Little Falls families and members of the community. For $8 you receive a delicious and hearty breakfast with all the fixings including pancakes, sausage, baked beans, fruit and McCully’s homemade maple syrup. A portion of all proceeds will be used to purchase school supplies for the school that we had built in Irqaat, Kenya! Please join us and bring your appetite!!

Student Voice Team

The Student Voice Team, along with all of the students at Little Falls, would like to say a huge “Thank You” to all of those who helped make our Little Falls’ Winter Olympics and our “Go Canada Go” spirit day so memorable. A special thank you to members of the St. Marys Lincolns who played with us during our Hockey event and to the parent volunteers who helped make hot chocolate. We would also like to thank Canadian Tire ‘Jump Start’ and the Rooney family for donating Canada tattoos and stickers for every student. What a wonderful way to celebrate Canada and the Winter Olympics!

Pink Shirt Day

Each year, schools across Canada participate in Pink Shirt Day. It is a day to open up discussions about bullying, and to wear pink to symbolize that bullying will not be tolerated. This year’s focus was on cyber bullying and being more aware of our behaviour online. Thank you to all that wore pink on Pink Shirt Day and joined in the conversation about bullying. #niceneedsnofilter

Lots of Socks – World Down Syndrome Day – Wednesday, March 21

The Student Voice Team invites you to help recognize World Down Syndrome Day on Wednesday, March 21 by wearing brightly coloured socks, long socks, printed socks, 1 sock…. Even 3 socks for 3 chromosomes.
#LotsOfSocks #WDSD18

Spirit Day

Our next spirit day, “Multiples Day”, will be held on Thursday, March 29. Have fun dressing like your friends. We can’t wait to see all the twins, triplets, or even larger groups out there!

School Council/PIA

The next School Council/PIA meeting is Monday, March 12th at 6:00 p.m. in the school library.
New members are always welcome.

March Break
Just a reminder that March Break is scheduled from Monday, March 12th to Friday, March 16th. Have a safe and enjoyable break!

Easter

School will be closed Friday, March 30th and Monday, April 2nd for the Easter holiday.

EQAO Dates

Grade 3 and 6 EQAO testing will take place May 22nd – June 4th. Although we know that unexpected illness or absences may come up, we ask that you please do not book appointments for your children during this time for students in grades 3 and 6.

Save the date – May 17th is our School Carnival date

More details to follow.

Snack Program Volunteers Needed

Little Falls Public School students are extremely fortunate to have a very caring and supportive parent community. We have a number of parents who volunteer time to help us make sure that healthy snacks are provided to each class on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. In order to be able to provide these delicious and nutritious snacks we need to have two or three people who are able to help with purchasing the food. We would like to thank Becky and Laurie for sharing this duty over the past couple of years. They have done a great job and they are both now becoming very busy with other commitments so they are not able to continue purchasing the food. Gift cards and/or vouchers will be provided for the purchase of the snacks. If you are able to help out with purchasing snacks for this valuable program please contact Mr. Holland at rob.holland@ed.amdsb.ca. for more details. Thank you!

Downie Optimist Spelling Bee (for Grade 5 Students)

The Optimist Club of Downie is sponsoring a Spelling Bee for Grade 5 students. The Spelling Bee will take place on Sunday March 11th at 1:00 p.m. at the St.Pauls Community Centre. Registration is at 12:30 p.m. For more information please contact your Grade 5 Teacher.

News from the Baseball Hall of Fame

St. Marys Minor Ball Registration Deadline is March 18, 2018.  Please go to their website.