December 2018 Newsletter

Administrator’s Message

December and January News!

We are looking forward to a very busy month filled with holiday activities, classroom events and excursions, as well as great excitement for the holiday season! This year our holiday concert will include our Grade 1-3 classes. The classes have been casted into 2 concerts. Our dress rehearsals will run on December 10th and 11th at 1:00 p.m. and our evening performances will take place on December 10th and 11th at 7:00 p.m. Information about each classroom’s performance date was sent home and included in this newsletter. We look forward to seeing you there!

Just a reminder that Friday, December 7th is a PA Day for students. Also, we will go to school right up until December 21st this year and we will welcome all of our students back to school on Monday, January 7th. We look forward to seeing many of you over the next few weeks and hope that the holiday time allows for rest and rejuvenation to meet the new year with energy and excitement for all that is to come!

As always, if you have any questions, concerns, or celebrations please feel free to contact us at the office.

From all of the staff at Little Falls, we wish you and your family safe and happy holidays!

Sincerely,

Mrs. Cassone and Mr. Holland

Our Mission

Learners Today Leaders Tomorrow
We strive to ensure that all students achieve their potential, academically and socially.

Math at Little Falls

Knowing how to do math makes our day-to-day lives easier! Children learn best through activities that encourage them to explore, think about what they are exploring and solve problems using information they have gathered themselves and explaining how they reached their solutions.

This year our school is focussing on engaging students and changing their perceptions about Math. We encourage students to share the exciting work that they are doing in math at school with family members at home! Math talk is a great way to consolidate our learning.

A free website that has videos on just about every math topic imaginable is Khan Academy. These short videos are a great way for you and your child to review material they are learning at school.

What Tips can you use to help your child?

Be positive about math! Let children know that everyone can learn math. Let them know that you think math is important and fun. Show them how you use math every day in ways such as measuring, handling money, building, and counting plates or forks for the table.

Reminders

Get the Latest on School or School Bus Delays or Cancellations:

Lost and Found

Our Lost and Found box is overflowing!! All items are on tables in the hall outside the office. On Friday December 21st, we will be donating any unclaimed items to charity. Please check it out before it is gone!

Christmas Cheer Drive – November 26 – December 6

According to the Salvation Army, “One in seven Canadian children live in poverty, which means each year thousands of children go to bed on Christmas Eve not knowing if there will be any toys under the tree in the morning”.

Help us make sure every child in our community has a happy Christmas morning by donating a toy to our Christmas Cheer Drive at Little Falls Public School.

We will be collecting new, unwrapped toys, all sized pyjamas, adult socks, baby clothes (3-6 months), diapers, canned fruit, vegetables and meat as well as gift certificates (for clothing and food), from November 26 – December 6. Little Falls Families are invited to donate a toy that a child of your child’s age and gender would enjoy.

As a School community, we want to ensure we give back to those in our community who are in need. If your family is in need of support over the holidays, please contact Mrs. Cassone or Mr. Holland. All calls will remain confidential.

Thank you in advance for your generous support!

Holiday Spirit Week

Show your school spirit by joining your Student Voice Team on these fun Holiday Spirit Days:

• Monday, December 17 – Hawaiian Christmas Day
  • Tuesday, December 18 – Holiday Hat Day
  • Wednesday, December 19 – Favourite Holiday Character
  • Thursday, December 20 – Red and Green Day
  • Friday, December 21 – PJ Day

Thank you – Scholastic Book Fair

A big than you to everyone who supported our Scholastic Book Fair! It was a successful event allowing us to add many new books to our library shelves!

Thank you – Foundation for Education

Thank you to the Foundation for Education for generously providing funding that supported Ms. Coles, Mrs. Jennings, Mrs. Bickell and Mrs. Bosse’s class trips to Gallery Stratford in November. The classes were given the opportunity to tour the gallery, learn about the works of the Group of Seven and create their own art work. The Foundation For Education is a charitable organization that has supported education in Huron and Perth since 1989. The Foundation’s mission is to develop, support, and encourage the integration of the rich and unique cultural, corporate, industrial, and agricultural resources of Huron and Perth counties into the school system and initiate new educational enrichment programs to benefit students and citizens. Please visit the Foundation for Education website for more information.

Thank you to our Peer Helpers

Every day our Peer Recess Helpers take to the yard to help all of our students at Little Falls have a fantastic recess. They help solve problems, find friends, and organize games. We would like to thank all of our Peer Recess Helpers for making Little Falls a better place during the first part of our school year.

Pizza, Sub, and Milk Orders

Reminder ordering for pizza, subs, and milk for the second half of school year (February through June) will be available on school cash until January 20th. If you have not signed up for school cash online we encourage you to do so at the SchoolCashOnline website.

Up and Coming Events

Pathways Career and Information Fair

When: December 5th, 2018 from 3:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Where: Stratford Rotary Complex
Who: Everyone is welcome!
What is it: Exposure to Apprenticeship, College, University, Workplace

The Avon Maitland District School Board Pathways team is joining partners from apprenticeship programs, post secondary institutions, the local workforce and community agencies to showcase options available for students. Students and families will hear about specialty programs such as cooperative education, Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program, Specialist High Skills Majors and Dual Credits through the School/College/Work Initiative. There will be interactive booths as well as the Lambton College trailer with simulation welders.

Holiday Concert

The Primary Division will be putting on a Holiday Musical this year called “On with the Snow!”
The Grade 1, 2 and 3 classes will be performing on the following dates.

Monday, December 10th at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. (Snow date is Wednesday, December 12th)
Mrs. Lasenby’s grade 1/2 class
Mrs. Martin’s grade 2 class
Mrs. Stacey’s grade 2 class
Mrs. Embury’s grade 2 class

Tuesday, December 11th at 1p.m. and 7 p.m. (Snow date is Thursday, December 13th)
Mrs. Brintnell’s grade 1 class
Ms. McPhail’s/Mrs. Hodkinson’s grade 1 class
Ms. Mahaffy’s grade 3 class
Ms. Weber’s grade 3 class

Donations will be accepted at the door to go toward our Music Program.

Me To We

The Little Falls Me to We group will be holding our annual Toonie Theater on Friday, December 14th. Students are asked to bring in a donation of any amount (a toonie is just a suggestion), to watch a child-friendly movie (to be determined), as an entire school. Popcorn will be provided for all! Your donations will go towards helping to provide families in developing countries with clean, fresh water for life! Thank you in advance for helping to change the lives of others! ~ BE THE CHANGE ~

Carol Sing

Christmas carol singing will be held on Monday, December 17th and Friday December 21st starting at 10:15 a.m. in the Little Falls gymnasium. Please come and join us!

School Council/PIA

Our next School Council/PIA meeting will be held on February 11th, 2019. New members are always welcome!

Christmas Holidays

School holidays begin on Monday, December 24th, 2018 and end on Friday, January 4th, 2019. School starts Monday, January 7th, 2019.

Literacy Day

January 25th is Literacy Day! Send your readers wearing their PJs to celebrate by having a Cuddle Up and Read Day!