April 2019 Newsletter

Administrator’s Message

It is so hard to believe that April and Spring are already here. With Spring comes new life, new energy, new excitement and our staff and students are fully immersed in the busyness of the season!

Mrs. Stern and our students have been busy preparing for the Kiwanis Festival which will take place on April 15th,17th and 18th. Our Grade 4-6 students are practicing “The Greatest Show” to get ready for Dance Showcase in Stratford on May 8th. We also want to wish our Chess Team and Bridge Club good luck as they represent Little Falls at upcoming tournaments this month. Also, watch for information coming home about our Jump Rope for Heart event which will host on May 6th!

As a school, we are continuing to work on making math relevant and visible in our everyday lives. Students have been engaged in number talks, math games, Friday morning trivia tasks and problem solving activities to support their learning. We encourage all students to take some time to share their learning with their families. It is amazing to watch the excitement that comes from students when they are challenged to find connections between school, home and everyday life! We are excited to watch the learning continue.

As always, if you have any questions, concerns or celebrations, please feel free to contact the office anytime.

Happy Spring to all.
Sincerely,

Ms. Cassone and Mr. Holland

Our Mission

Learners Today Leaders Tomorrow
We strive to ensure that all students achieve their potential, academically and socially.

School Closure

• Friday April 5 for a PA Day
  • Friday April 19 for Good Friday
  • Monday April 22 for Easter Monday

Equity and Inclusion Events

Pancake Breakfast at McCully’s Hill Farm Update

The Me to We group would like to thank all the families that came to the pancake breakfasts at McCully’s during the Maple Syrup Festival. We appreciate the support and had fun serving you! We will donate our share of the proceeds to Mr. and Mrs. Burston to be used to help the Mishkeegogamang Hockey Team! Thanks so much!

Junior Mixed Basketball Tournament

On Tuesday, March 6 the Little Falls Jr. Basketball team participated in the annual basketball tournament at South Huron District High School. The team played six hard fought games, ending the day with a record of 1-5. The team play of all 12 members was exciting to watch and proves promising for future teams that these students will play on. Team members are: Niko, Eden, Raella, Skylar, Kiara, Keirsyn, Simon, Nate, Hayden, Oliver, Ian, and Grayson. The team was coached by Mrs. Coles and Mrs. McDougall. A special thank you goes to Miss Menary for also helping out with the team. Great job team!

Up and Coming Events

School Council/PIA

The next meeting of the School Council/PIA is Monday, April 8th at 6:00 p.m. New members are always welcome.

Bridge Tournament — will be held on Monday, April 8th in the afternoon.

Chess Club Tournament – will be held Tuesday, April 9th at the Army Navy Air Force Hall in Stratford.

Stratford Kiwanis Music Festival

The Junior Choir competes on Monday, April 15th at 12:10 p.m.

If you have a student in your household in Grade 1, 2 or 3, they will be attending the Festival with their class in Stratford at Avondale United Church on Wednesday, April 17th.

Grade 1 choir(Brintnell/Hodkinson) at 10:00 a.m. (special note: Grade 1 French Choir Competition starts at 9:30 a.m. followed by the English Class)

Grade 2 choir (Lasenby/Martin and Stacey/Denny) at 10:45 a.m.

Grade 3 choir(Mahaffy/Weber) at 12:15 p.m.

The Primary Choir competes on Thursday, April 18th at 12:25 p.m.

All students will be bussed into Stratford. Thank you to PIA for covering the admission and bussing costs for all of our students!

Please note: General Admission to the Festival is $3 (thank you in advance for donating to the Festival!)

Student Voice Team:

“Light It Up Blue” – World Autism Awareness Day – Tuesday, April 2

The Student Voice Team invites you to help recognize World Autism Awareness Day on Tuesday, April 2 by wearing blue to school.

Little Falls Earth Day

On April 23rd Little Falls’ will be celebrating their very own Earth Day! Please wear green! We will be holding special clean up activities as well as enjoying a “lights off” day!

Spirit Day

Our next spirit day, “Wacky Hair Day”, will be held on Friday, April 26. We can’t wait to see your creative hairstyles!

Thank You

A BIG thank you to The Foundation for Education for providing our class with a fully-funded, ART / LIFE Watercolor Workshop in April! Students will be developing an understanding of composition and basic water colour terminology, using selected principles of design, to create a piece of watercolor artwork. Thank you for this opportunity!

Kim Jennings
Grade 6

Save the Dates

Carnival

Little Falls Annual Spring Carnival will take place on Thursday, May 16th. More information will be forthcoming.

Track and Field

The Little Falls Annual Track and Field Meet will be held on Friday, May 17th at DCVI (rain date is Tuesday, May 23rd). All grades 4, 5 and 6 students will be participating in both Field and Track events. Come on out and cheer on our Junior Students!

EQAO Dates

Grade 3 and 6 EQAO testing will take place May 21st – June 3rd. Although we know that unexpected illness or absences may come up, we ask that you please do not book appointments for your children during this time for students in grades 3 and 6.

Community News

Toronto Blue Jays Honda Instructional Clinic at the Hall of Fame in St. Marys on May 4th.

The Blue Jays Baseball Academy is proud to announce their Honda Instructional Clinic schedule for 2019. Blue Jays Honda Instructional Clinics will be taking place in St. Marys on Saturday, May 4 from 3pm to 7pm at the Hall of Fame. Registration is open for boys and girls aged 8 to 14 and the fee is only $55 plus HST. The Blue Jays Baseball Academy is aware of the need for local associations to raise funds to offset some of the rising costs they are experiencing. Therefore, the host association will receive $25 per registration, after the first 25 registrations.

During the four-hour clinic, players will rotate through drills that will work on fundamental baseball skills such as hitting, throwing, fielding, pitching, and base running. Also, each Blue Jays Honda Instructional Clinic participant will receive a Blue Jays hat, T-shirt and baseball manual.

Register now for the St. Marys Blue Jays Honda Instructional Clinic being held at the Hall of Fame on Saturday, May 4 at the Hall of Fame (386 Church St. S.). Parents are welcome to stay and watch or assist with the clinic.

Click the Instructional Clinic page and then click on the St. Marys clinic to register.