March 2018 Newsletter

Principals Message

What a surprise we have had lately with unseasonably warm weather, reminding us of what is ahead this Spring. There will undoubtedly be some colder days before things fully turn, and we remind families that students should continue to come prepared for whatever the weather forecast sends our way. Don’t put away the snowpants, boots, or mitts quite yet!

It has been exciting around the school over the past months, as students have been actively engaged in a wide variety of activities – intramurals, peer pals, student council, Me to We, student voice, robotics, chess, choirs, and many others. I encourage all students to participate in activities they find interesting, and also encourage them to connect with staff or myself if they have an idea for a new club or activity that may not be in place at the school. Feedback from students helps us to ensure that our offerings reflect the diverse interests and talents of all members of our school community.

As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me at the school.

Sincerely, Mr. J. Brock

Staffing Update

We have had several changes to our staffing over the past month. Mrs. Abby Lee, who had been teaching Grade 4 is now off on a leave, following the birth of her daughter. In her place, Ms. Nicole Montgomery has joined us in the Grade 4 classroom for the remainder of the school year. We have also had Glenn Roth working in our school since August as a temporary head custodian. We wish Glenn well as he returns to his retirement. Ms. Jennifer Smith joins our staff in mid-March as our new head custodian. We wish those who have departed a fond farewell, and extend a warm welcome to our new staff.

Sickness

We have been impacted significantly by illness over the past several weeks. While students may not experience obvious symptoms, please pay attention to complaints of them feeling unwell. If students are vomiting or fevered, the should remain at home. The Perth District Health Unit recommends all students remain out of contact with others for 24 hours after demonstrating symptoms of these types of illnesses. The flu seems to be quite aggressive this year, and we encourage everyone to help limit the spread of this and other viruses by taking appropriate steps.

Budding Artists Fundraiser

Thanks to the staff in Grades K to 5 for their support of the Budding Artists fundraiser, currently underway. Students have created original works of art and those art pieces can be transposed onto mugs, t-shirts, and a number of other items, perfect for gifts for family and friends. All proceeds from the fundraiser go to support our Primary Playground project. Order forms have gone home at this point with the artworks, and are due back to the office by March 8th.

Playground Update

Plans for our new primary playground equipment are well established at this point, and we have received final renderings of several options, each of which address a variety of items from our “wish list” as well as ensuring access for all students and members of our school community. School Council will be making a final decision about the design to proceed with, and will continue to actively seek support from our school community and beyond to help make our playground dream a reality. If you are interested in donating to the project, please contact the school for more information.

Random Act of (Pizza) Kindness

During the regular food days in the first week of March, all students who regularly order pizza will still receive their regular order. However, to ensure everyone has a chance to take part in food days, we are providing one slice to all students who might not otherwise receive pizza. Students in Grade K-5 will receive their pizza on Tuesday, March 6th, and the Grade 6 to 8 students will receive theirs on Friday, March 9th. An extra special thanks to one of our students who donated money they earned to support this initiative!

Beginning / End of Day Routine Reminders

Just a quick reminder that all students should enter the school through their designated entrances in the morning. If students are arriving late, they need to be seen in the office, and then proceed to their classrooms with a late slip, independently. Where necessary, office or other school staff can assist them to get to their classrooms. If, for any reason, parents are in areas of the school beyond the office, they are required to sign into the office, and wear volunteer identification for the duration of their visit. At the end of the day, any students who are regularly on the bus, but are being picked up, should be dismissed from the office area. Also, during dismissal times, we ask that students are not playing on equipment, or other areas, unless supervised by an adult. There is staff supervision at the front of the school during bus dismissal times to support safe and orderly exits from the school area. Together we can ensure safe and orderly entry and dismissal times!

School Spirit Days

Thanks to everyone who participated in our recent Pink Shirt Day, to raise awareness of anti-bullying efforts both at the school and across the nation. We have a number of events throughout the year, both to encourage school spirit, as well as observe other important events, causes, or considerations. Thanks to everyone for their support of these days, and more importantly showing their school spirit during our fun days as well.

EQAO Provincial Assessment

Each year, Grade 3 and 6 students participate in the Education Quality and Assurance Office (EQAO) provincial assessments. Students are assessed, over several days, on their language and numeracy skills. The results of the assessments provide some information about individual student achievement, and also provide the school and Board with a set of data to determine next steps in school improvement planning. This year, the EQAO assessments will be taking place from Tuesday, May 22nd to Monday, June 4th.

Students will not be writing the assessments each of these days, but will be using many of these days to complete the work. I wanted to share these dates well ahead so that hopefully families can plan around these days. It is important that students are present as much as possible during this time, so if you are planning medical appointments, or family trips in the Spring, please keep these dates in mind. In the past, we have appreciated the support of community volunteers to help support the administration of the assessments for Grade 3 and 6 students. We will, once again this year, require assistance with supervision and scribing for some students. If you, or someone you know, may be able to assist during the assessment, please let us know at the school.

Important Dates for March

Friday, March 2 – School Olympics/Winter Fun Day
Tuesday, March 6 – Pizza for all Gr. K-5 students (2nd break)
Tuesday, March 6 – School Council Meeting – in library – 6:00 pm – all are welcome
Thursday, March 8 – Budding Artists orders due to the school
Friday, March 9- Pizza for all Gr. 6-8 students (2nd break)
Monday, March 12 – Beginning of March Break – no classes
Friday, March 16 – End of March Break
Monday, March 19 – Back to School after March Break
Friday, March 23 – Favourites Day – Spirit day
Friday, March 30 – Good Friday – no classes
Monday, April 2 – Easter Monday – no classes