Dear North Easthope Families:
Welcome to Spring! Thank you for helping your child(ren) choose the right outdoor clothing to wear to school each day in order to suit the weather. The students love to play outside and the games and fun activities at recess are amazing to watch or take part in. Please send an extra set of clothes just in case!
We look forward to celebrating World Autism Awareness Day on April 2nd by wearing blue head to toe. I am looking forward to seeing what our Eagles have that is blue to wear that day!
Thank you to Ms. Hutchinson who has been supervising our junior/intermediate students at recesses during Chess Club. We have so many students with keen interest and outstanding strategy! We wish our Chess Club members luck at the Chess Tournament on April 9th!
Thanks to our Gr 7/8 class for organizing our Rock Your Socks Spirit Day in recognition of World Down Syndrome Day. Thanks also to our Gr 5 class for helping us learn more about ending racism in our world. We have such fun as a school community celebrating diversity in our school, our community and our world.
Congratulations to our Intermediate girls and boys basketball teams for their dedication and sportsmanship as they competed in the regional basketball tournament on March 6th. Thanks to Coaches Wilkinson and Miller for leading these athletes. We were proud to hang the championship banners for both teams in the gym.
I have listed many upcoming dates at the end of the newsletter. Please review and mark your calendars for what involves your child(ren). We will continue to update the school calendar on our website as more activities are organized and booked.
Stay tuned for some work on both of our playground areas as our new swings will be installed in May. Thanks to School Council, AMDSB Facilities Department and our community for helping to make new swings a reality so quickly.
School events and classroom activities as well as any emergency messages are posted to our school twitter account @NorthEasthopePS on a regular basis. This Twitter account is also linked to our school webpage. Please take a moment to check them out.
As always, if you have any questions, concerns or celebrations, please do not hesitate to contact me at the school.
Mrs. Jo Anne Knechtel
We are happy to be offering the Little Caesar Pizza Kits fundraiser again this year! Money raised will be used for various projects benefiting the students of North Easthope Public School. Please note that order forms and money must be returned the school no later than April 23rd. (please make one cheque payable to North Easthope Public School). You can also place your order online. – (Make sure you are on the Canadian website.) Click on products and then shop. Support our school by providing our Fundraiser ID# 367832 and pay with your credit card. Paper order forms and brochures will be sent home on Friday, April 12th. All products will be available for pick up May 10th from 3:00-4:00 p.m. Please feel free to contact Jessie Wilhelm email@example.com with any questions. As always, thank you for your support and participation!
Foundation for Enriching Education – Art Workshops
Thank you to the Foundation for Enriching Education for sponsoring two workshops at NEH PS in the next few months. The Gr 5 class will have a full day workshop creating Celtic animals and using different art mediums. The Gr 6/7 will have a watercolour workshop. We can’t wait to see the artwork that is created from these amazing opportunities.
School Council Meeting
NEH School Council will be meeting on Wednesday, April 3rd at 6:30 p.m. in the school library. Please contact the school office if you are require babysitting for younger children. All parents are welcome.
Student Identification Survey AMDSB is re-engaging K-6 parents to complete the Student Identification Survey. We want to enhance our knowledge of the self-identified composition of this student group. Paper copies will be sent home. If you have already completed it you do not need to do another one. You can also still complete it online. Please complete and return by April 4th. A letter will also be sent home with more information.
Scent Free and Nut Safe School
Parents and students, when coming into the school please consider those with allergies and refrain from using perfumes/colognes and avoid sending nuts or nut products to school. Some students have a life-threatening allergy to peanuts and other nuts. An allergic reaction could cause the child’s airway to clamp down and fill with mucous. Ultimately, without immediate medical treatment, death could occur. As this is a serious problem, please be sure to do the following when preparing lunches and snacks for school:
- Do not use peanut butter, Nutella or other products containing nuts
- Check all ingredients and labels on packages to ensure no nuts are in the products
- Wash the face and hands of your child if peanut butter or other nuts were used at home
- On occasions when you may want to send in treats for the classroom, please ensure all items are nut free and check with the classroom for other possible allergens.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation with this potentially life-threatening allergy.
3:15 Pick Up Instead of Riding Bus
On the rare occasion that you need to pick up your child(ren) at 3:15 instead of them riding the bus home, send a note or write it in their planner so that the teacher and office know ahead of time. You are also required to sign your child out on the clipboard in the lobby. In an emergency situation, where you need to pick up your child unexpectedly, the school needs a phone call before 2:00. After that time, there is a risk that a phone message may not be picked up by dismissal time.
• May 3rd – Gr 6/7 – Watercolour painting workshop
• May 6th – 10th: AMDSB Education Week and Mental Health Awareness Week
• May 8th – Dance Showcase
• May 10th – Fresh Friday Lunch and Little Caesar’s Pizza Fundraiser pick-up, 3-4p.m.
• May 14th – Kindergarten and Gr 1/2 Excursion – Laurel Creek Conservation Area
• May 16th – Spring Concert – 12 noon – gym – all students involved
• May 17 – School Track and Field events – Gr 4-8 students involved (raindate May 21st)
• May 20th – Victoria Day (no school for staff and students)
• May 22nd – June 3th – EQAO for Grade 3’s & 6’s – first block of the day
• May 30th – Gr 4 and Gr 5 – Wildwood Excursion
• June 4 – Regional Track and Field (Rain date – June 5th)
• June 6th – Gr 6, 7 and 8 – U Turn Ranch Excursion and School Bar B Q
• June7th – PA Day – no school for students
• June 11th – Gr 2/3 IFarm Excursion
• June 12th – School Council Meeting – 6:30 p.m. in the library
• June 14th –Volunteer Tea – 9-10 a.m. in the gym and Jump Rope For Heart – last block of the day
• June 17th – Dairy Educator Visit
• June 18th – District Track and Field at Stratford Central SS (Rain date – June 19th)
• June 20th – Spirit Day
• June 25th – Reports home to families
• June 26th – Gr 8 Celebration
• June 27th – Last Day of classes for students
• June 28th – PA Day for staff
Saturday, April 20th – Shakespeare Opti-Mrs Easter Egg Hunt (ages preschool to grade 6) at 11 a.m. sharp. At Sprucedale Public School in Shakespeare.
Sunday, May 5th – Shakespeare Opti-Mrs Brunch – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. -Shakespeare Optimist Hall
5 and under free
Please contact Ellen 519-625-8984 or any Opt-Mrs member for tickets