March 2019 Newsletter
Dear North Easthope Families,
It is hard to believe that we are into the month of March. This means that we are now looking ahead to more spring-like weather, time off with friends and family for March Break and all of the added excitement of the second half of our school year.
Congratulations to all of our students for the perseverance and responsibility that you demonstrated during the first term of school.
This month we are excited to continue the teams and clubs that began in February. Our Intermediate girls and boys basketball teams continue to practice for the upcoming tournament in March. We would like to thank Coaches Wilkinson and Miller for their work. Our Jr Mixed Team is preparing with Coach Wilkinson and Student Coaches Jackson M and Nolan for their rescheduled March tournament as well. Our Chess Club and Cribbage Club continue to meet weekly with great excitement for the new learning that is happening! Thanks to Ms. Hutchinson and Ms. Smith for leading these clubs. The Uke Group and Drama Club are also honing their skills for future performances. Thanks to Ms. Hinz for leading these clubs. We also wore pink on Feb 27th to take a stand against bullying. Our Healthy Schools Committee, Kindness Krew, Student Council and Sports Council continue to plan school wide events for all students. Thanks to our students leaders and Mlle. Miller, Ms. vanZuillen and Ms. Vallance for leading these groups.
Many excursions and special events are in the planning stages. We will send home information for parents as each date comes closer. Please touch base with your child’s teacher if you have any specific questions. Teachers make direct connection to the curriculum when planning these excursions. All students are encouraged to take part. If you have specific questions please connect with the teacher or myself.
Our Student Council and Kindness Crew organized a fun Spirit Day on February 14 for all students. Donations to the Cassava Seed project were collected. Thanks to everyone for your support of this day. We enjoyed another Fresh Friday lunch this month thanks to the Fresh Friday volunteers who prepared and served this to our students. Thanks to Julie M for taking a lead with this event.
As always, if you have any questions, concerns or celebrations, please do not hesitate to contact me at the school.
Mrs. Jo Anne Knechtel
A HUGE thank you goes out to everyone who contributed to the Elmira Poultry Fundraiser last month. We are expecting poultry orders to be ready for pick up on Thursday, March 7th between 3:00-4:00. Thanks to Michelle P for organizing this for the school community, we have raised approx. $1350 with this fundraiser!
Also, for anyone who might want to look ahead to our Spring Fundraiser, we will be selling the Little Caesar’s Pizza kits again this year.
North Easthope Bus Delays or School Closure Procedure
This is just a reminder that due to the nature of the weather conditions, there will be times that our school buses may be cancelled or delayed.
1) The bus company and Transportation department, may issue a 2 hour delay for our buses. In cases where North Easthope experiences a 2 hour bus delay, the school will be open for students at the regular morning bell (8:55 a.m.) or when they can arrive safely. Please be sure to watch/listen for updates as there may be times that weather or road conditions change. The buses will run at the end of the day if there is only a 2 hour delay in the morning.
2) If the bus delay becomes a bus cancellation after the start of the regular school day, then the school will remain open for those students who may have been dropped off at the school, however parents/guardians will be responsible for student transportation at the end of the school day as buses will not be running. Any bus cancellation means buses will not run to or from the school on that day.
3) In the case of early morning bus cancellations due to inclement weather, the school will be open to all students beginning at 8:55 a.m. Students will need to be picked up by 3:15 p.m.
All bus delays, school closure or early closure will be announced in the following manner:
*Please note: North Easthope cancellations will be listed under “Stratford Rural Schools”
• HPSTS – Huron Perth School Transportation Services
• CKNX 920 AM or CKNX 101.7 FM, WINGHAM
• 107.7 STRATFORD
• North Easthope Twitter @NortheasthopePS
• School Messenger message sent to parents
Scent Free and Nut Safe School
Parents and students, when coming into the school please consider those with allergies and refrain from using perfumes/colognes and avoid sending nuts or nut products to school. Some students have a life-threatening allergy to peanuts and other nuts. An allergic reaction could cause the child’s airway to clamp down and fill with mucous. Ultimately, without immediate medical treatment, death could occur. As this is a serious problem, please be sure to do the following when preparing lunches for school:
• Do not use peanut butter, Nutella or other products containing nuts
• Check all ingredients and labels on packages to ensure no nuts are in the products
• Wash the face and hands of your child if peanut butter or other nuts were used at home
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation with this potentially life-threatening allergy.
3:15 Pick Up Instead of Riding Bus
On the rare occasion that you need to pick up your child(ren) at 3:15 instead of them riding the bus home, send a note or write it in their planner so that the teacher and office know ahead of time. You are also required to sign your child out on the clipboard in the lobby. In an emergency situation, where you need to pick up your child unexpectedly, the school needs a phone call before 2:00. After that time, there is a risk that a phone message may not be picked up by dismissal time.
This month’s character attribute is Optimism.
“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”
― Anne Frank, Anne Frank’s Tales from the Secret Annex
For upcoming events please see the North Easthope Events Calendar.