April 2018 Newsletter

Principal’s Message

Easter is behind us and spring is finally here. As usual, Seaforth PS is a busy place and that’s just the way we like it. April is Honesty Month so that will be our theme but we have other things on the go as well. The board Student Success Team has invited speaker, Jamie McMillan, an ironworker who promotes women in trades, to speak to our grades 4 to 6 students on the 3rd. April 6th is Country Day so bring your cowboy hats and boots to school on that day. On the 11th Ms Rivett’s and Ms Regier’s classes are off to the Ag & Water Festival and there is a Senior Basketball Tournament on April 17th at CHSS. On the 18th, Grades 1 to 5 are off to a performance at Blyth Memorial Hall entitled “A Bunch of Munsch,” a performance of stories adapted for stage by Duncan MacGregor. In case you’re wondering, the kindergarten students are going on the 11th.

Earth Day Swap Shop

Me To We will be hosting an “Earth Day Swap Shop” the week of April 16-19.

To make this swap successful, we need your help! We are looking for donations of gently used toys and books that you and your family are no longer using. If you have some treasures that you would like to donate, please bring them to school between April 9 – 13.

If you bring in a donation of a gently used toy or book, you will be able to come and pick out a new-to-you item from the donations during the week of April 16-19.

School Advisory Council

Please come and join us for our next meeting Tuesday April 6th at 6:00 p.m. in the school Library. We look forward to your input and your participation!

QSP Fundraising

Our fundraising campaign March 27 to April 13th. We are raising funds to support school trips, the school nutrition program and resources to augment the learning experience of students. The campaign has options for magazine, cookie dough and flower bulbs for purchase. Look for the information packages coming home.

Camp Celtic Fundraising (Grade 8)

Elmira Chicken orders will be delivered on March 28th. Please pick them up after 3:00 p.m. Watch for hanging baskets from Huron Ridge. This will be our last fundraising effort for this trip. Thank you for your support!

Illness, holidays or early pick-up

Parents and guardians must notify the office of an absence due to illness or vacation trips.

When a student is to be dismissed or leaving school early due to an appointment, the office must be notified and the parent/guardian must sign the student out at the office. It is important that the office is aware of these situations for safe arrival and safe dismissal.

Again, we ask that you please do not text your child during instructional time with messages or alternative arrangements for dismissal or pick up. Messages must come through the office.

Volunteers needed 4 Book Fair in May

Ms Troyer in the library is looking for a couple of volunteers to help with our annual book fair in May. Set up is on the Friday, May 4th.  The fair takes place Monday through Thursday during breaks and after school as well. Contact Ms Troyer if you can help out. Thanks.

April Dates

April 2 – Easter Monday
April 3 – May Food/Milk orders open on SCO
April 4 – Grade 1/2 – Red’s in the Hood
April 5 – Sub Day
April 11 – Spring Pictures
April 11 – A Bunch of Munsch (JK students)
April 12 – Rollup Day
April 13 – QSP Campaign Ends
April 17 – Basketball Tournament – CHSS
April 18 – Bunch of Munsch – (gr 1-5 students)
April 19 – Pizza Day
April 20 – Country Day
April 24 – Chess Tournament
April 24 – May Food/Milk orders close on SCO
April 25 – Ball Hockey tournament at Zurich
April 26 – Sub Day
April 27 – PD Day

Points of Interest

Stop in to see our Mathlete, Empathy and Student Voice bulletin boards. Stop by to see our Teacher Voice bulletin board in the J/I hallway.

Did You Know ?

We accept your used printer toner cartridges for recycling. Send them into the school, or drop them in the plastic tote container in the lobby.

We also have a collection pail for your dead household batteries! (AA, AAA, C, D, 9V). Send them in and we will get them disposed of properly for you!

News From our Public Library

The Perfect Pillow by Eric Pinder is an adventure about a boy named Brody and his dragon Horst, who just can’t get to sleep. They climb out the bedroom window and fly up to the downy soft clouds, parachute down to a boat that rocks them like a cradle, and they even try an owls soft, downy nest but nothing works. Exhausted the pair climb back in the window and Horst the dragon becomes Brody’s new pillow. I loved this story, and the misty and silvery shades of the illustrations lend a dreamlike quality.

Early On Baby Time (Newborn to 12 months)
Wednesdays 10am-11:30 a.m. This program is for mothers and infants.

Noon Hour Book Club
We’ll be meeting Thursday April 12 from 12pm-1pm to discuss books. Bring a lunch and we’ll supply the coffee. New members are welcome.

Tech Time
Friday April 13 and 27 from 10 a.m to 2 p.m. and Thursday, April 5 and 19 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.  Are you having trouble navigating the tech world? Book a one-on-one session with our tech tutor to get the answers you need. Call the library 519-527-1430.

Seaforth and District Food Bank’s “Souper Saturday”

Competition will be held on Saturday April 14, 2018 from 11:00 to 1:30 at the Seaforth Community Centre. The event is in support The Seaforth and District Food Bank and admission is a Non-Perishable Food Donation. Our own Ms. Morton will be one of the judges for the soup competition. Contact Bob Fisher at 519-522-1394 or Herb McGowan at 519-522-0567 for more information. Here is a flyer in pdf format with more information.

Progressive Agriculture Safety Day – Friday, June 8

VRC Spring Newsletter

Pathways Night at CHSS

This event takes place on Thursday, April 5 at 7:00.